Happy Friday everyone!

Another long and busy week draws to a close. First off, I’d like to thank all of you for visiting, and sharing. This really means a lot, particularly in times like this when my time is not my own. Some of you may have noticed that I’ve been visiting during all sorts of odd hours lately, but I hope to return to a more normal schedule soon.

Today’s images was taken just a few days ago, a late Winter shot of a plain and simple bridge. It’s a simple 3-shot bracket where I was able to squeeze out some decent color from what initially looked like just another drab image. So this hopefully will bridge the gap between late Winter and early Spring, a time many of us are so looking forward to.

The strong arch and abutments on this short bridge is what drew my attention, so I decided to venture down along the stream bed for a better view. In post-processing I was tempted to straighten the roadway portion above but decided to leave it as is since this is located at the base of a steep hill. But I did break out the digital easel and give this a dash of a painterly look.

Next we have a B&W version, which I actually like better in this instance.

Until next time, have a fantastic weekend!

16 Responses to Bridging the Gap

the color one is stronger to me… have a good weekend Jimi
    Chantal recently posted..Rerun

Great shot Jimi! Love the processing on both! Have a great weekend!
    Rich McPeek recently posted..Sunset on the Lake

Really well composed here man! I gotta go with the color one for sure, it just pops!
    Dave DiCello recently posted..Right place, right time

4. Nice find Jimi. The color one is my favorite as it seems to benefit more from the painterly processing.
    Steven Perlmutter recently posted..Icy Fangs

They both work really well Jimi. If I had to pick one I’d go with the color. Have a great weekend.
    Len Saltiel recently posted..Tioga Road Beauty

nice find Jimi! I prefer color myself but both look great!
    Jim Nix recently posted..The Oliver St. John Gogarty

Hmm, I’m going against the grain here to say I like the B&W. I’m not really digging the blue color in the first. It seems a little over saturated. I do however like the foliage behind the bridge.
    Rick Louie recently posted..Schwabacher Landing

Really enjoy the mono version, has just a hint of perceived color in it.
    A.Barlow recently posted..Bro Fist Rock

9. Ed Prescott says:

Not a drab setting, I like the color version its very serene..:-))
    Ed Prescott recently posted..Redbuds

Hi Jimi. I must have commented on this shot somewhere else. I am spread pretty thin I guess. But seeing the monochrome (with just a bit of color) version, I think I like it best. Really great job with the details.
    Mark Neal recently posted..HDR – Weeds to Rhododendron

11. I like the painterly look in the b/w. That’s really cool. Great job Jimi.

12. Radu says:

Hi Jimi,
    It’s great to meet you and your blog. Btw, I love it :)
    Photography is something I became interested in relatively recently. Not too much experience that’s true, but I enjoy to explore new realms. And boy, yours is very interesting.
    Both versions have their own beauty. The first one looks more like a painting :)

Thank you for sharing. Look forward for more of your creations!
    ~Radu
    Radu recently posted..Blog Content Ideas: 40 Simple Ways To Never Run Dry

The painterly effect comes over equally strongly in both of these versions. I find the colour just a little overpowering – particularly the blues. Now if you could blend the two and achieve a half-way house that might be really something! The processing idea works very well, Jimi. Is this within Photoshop or are you using a plug-in?
    LensScaper recently posted..Snowdrops – Harbingers of Spring

14. This is a nice composition Jimi and well worth the trip down to the water’s edge. I like the B&W (although there is a very slight hint of some red and green tones) as this simplifies the whole image and allows the viewer to focus on the subject matter. I’m afraid the color version does not work for me as the colors are just too intense.
    Mark Summerfield recently posted..Levi Jackson Wilderness Road State Park

I think the comp is just spot on. I would have pulled back the blues a tad, it seems to take the image a bit out of balance. Otherwise, I think they are both fantastic.