In midtown Manhattan, located at the corner of Broadway and 35th street you’ll find a place called Herald Square, named for the long gone New York Herald newspaper which once operated there. This historic area is a major retail hub where practically all of the major retail giants once operated. Today there is still the world famous R. H. Macy & Company. Yes, that Macy of Thanksgiving Day Parade fame. Herald Square is used as a staging area for this annual event. The Square lies between west 34th and west 35th and was the site of the old Herald newspaper building.

In my opinion, this is one of the best parts of town because you can walk to so many wonderful places. I stayed right off of Broadway and west 40th so this was little more than a leg stretch. :-) Just a block away from this location is the 102-story Empire State Building, once one of the tallest in the world. I’ll have some images from there in a future post, but on to today’s photo.

The image below was taken just after 6:30 am, looking north up Broadway. I am standing on the edge of Herald Square (Broadway & 35th) and the building to the left is the side of Macy’s. One of the attractions of New York is the endless buildings and architectural styles. It’s a tremendous playground for photographers and when you couple that with all of the history, what more can you ask for?

Hope you enjoyed the photo and I wish you a great day.

500px | Google + | Twitter | Facebook

24 Responses to Broadway & 35th Street NY

stunning night shot, so sharp and crisp, great work Jimi – kudos
    Chantal recently posted..Rock formation split two ways

Wow, Jimi, this is a wonderful shot. Great exposure and composition. Hope you made it to B&H Photo.
    Len Saltiel recently posted..Spiral Staircase

• Jimi Jones says:

Man, I had every intention of going by there. Just ran out of time after chasing my list of other stops. Probably for the best, couldn’t have gone in without buying something expensive. LOL

Glad you like the shot, thanks!
      Jimi Jones recently posted..Broadway & 35th Street NY

3. Kris Koeller says:

Very cool. I walk by there every day.
    Kris Koeller recently posted..Gingerbread Houses

Ahhh, now THIS is some wide angle goodness Jimi! I love the tilt of the buildings, awesome range of lights and colors, just beautiful!
    Dave DiCello recently posted..Home for the holidays

Man, so envious. I was supposed to go out this week and plans forced me to cancel my trip to NY. Hopefully I’ll get out in January. I’ll have to get over to this area. So many things to shoot in NYC! You’ll love NYC in the Spring. Once of my favorite times to visit the city.
    Rick Louie recently posted..Delicate Arch

6. Rob says:

Love your urban night images!
    Rob recently posted..The Friendly Deer

Fantastic Jimi. I love the composition.This is a great corner and you’ve captured it beautifully.
    Edith Levy recently posted..“Square” – An eBook by Andrew S. Gibson

8. Ed Prescott says:

Give my regards to Broadway..:-) I just got a shipment from B&H of some new toys, one day I would like to get there and see the store in person..Great shot! :-)
    Ed Prescott recently posted..Teatime Tuesday: A Bit of This and That..

nice wide angle work Jimi, love early morning shots like this!
    Jim Nix recently posted..The streets of Chinatown

10. Adam Olson says:

Love the lighting here Jimi! Sweet shot!
    Adam Olson recently posted..Man of Steel

11. Nice composition Jimi and great timing to get the balance between the artificial lights and the twilight.
    Mark Summerfield recently posted..James Madison’s Montpelier

Cool shot man. Always loved the look of those wedge buildings for some reason.

Great shot, Jimi. Handheld?
    Ken Bello recently posted..OFFICIAL ONEOWNER GIZMO GIFT GUIDE

I love the perspective distortion Jimi, it really conveys a sense of scale!
    Curt Fleenor recently posted..Overflow

15. I plan on heading to the big apple next week. I will be trying for some starbursts if I’m there in the evening. Love the starbursts here!
    denise ippolito/A Creative Adventure recently posted..Alstroemeria

Lovely capture. Great light stars throughout!
    Adam Allegro recently posted..Watercolor Sunset