Welcome back and happy Friday!

Yet another busy week comes to a close. Had a few too many of these lately, but now look forward to some fun photographic projects I’ve been wanting to get to for some time. With that in mind, perhaps I should have named this “out” of the fog. :-)

Today we return to the headwaters of the Chesapeake Bay on a foggy morning, the same morning that I captured this sunrise. The scene below was so peaceful and eerily quiet that I simply sat and enjoyed the atmosphere for awhile after taking this shot. There was no boat traffic, people or even a crashing wave, just the fog and near silence.

Looking northward from this point where the Susquehanna River empties into the Chesapeake, there are several bridges which in this case, have faded into the fog.

A generous crop was given to this image to create a bit of a pano look and follow the bridge lines. After merging the 3-exposures (-2 to +2) in HDR Efex Pro and cleaning the final image up a bit, I applied a dash of the  ”Brilliant Cold” filter in Topaz Adjust 5.

Thanks for stopping by, gang. Have a wonderful weekend!

Photography of Interest on

16 Responses to Into the Fog

Great shot Jimi! Have a great weekend!

2. Love those nice foggy scenes. Great capture.
    Steven Perlmutter recently posted..Contrast

3. I love the gulls on the posts, have a great weekend Jimi
    Mike Criswell recently posted..The Port of San Francisco

The bridge came out nice and sharp! Have a great weekend!
    Rick Louie recently posted..Central Park Reflection

5. Wow. You really used the fog to good advantage Jimi. The first bridge pops, and each successive one fades more and more. Great work.
    Mark Garbowski recently posted..Coney Island Winter 2012 – Beach Sunrise

Lovely shot Jimi. I can see why you would just sit and enjoy the peacefulness of this scene. Love the way you’ve processed it. Have a wonderful weekend.
    Edith Levy recently posted..iPhone Friday – On Campus

Really like the graduated disappearing act with the bridges. Nice job, Jimi.
    Mark Neal recently posted..HDR – Out in the Yard at Fort Macon

8. You have captured the fading out of the three bridges as they progressively are further into the background wonderfully. The white gulls on the posts in the foreground add a nice contrast to the yellow of the bridges.
    Mark Summerfield recently posted..Garlic Mustard (Alliaria officinalis)

9. Marc Collins says:

Nice vivid colours here. Nice light you’ve captured too.
    Marc Collins recently posted..Pont Alexandre III

10. Emily says:

Very mysterious. I love the fog sometimes, but I can’t say I’ve ever been successful at taking a nice photo in it.

I feel like you could just chill in this location, and kinda lose track of time. What a great day to spend a friday. :)

Happy weekend to you too, Jimi! :)
    Emily recently posted..All natural

Great series of steps back through the images: posts, bridge and bridge-echo. What a great composition and love the pano look. Have a great weekend, Jimi.
    LensScaper recently posted..Quenching a Thirst

You brought out beautiful color in the bridges, Jimi. Exceptional.
    Ken Bello recently posted..ONE MAGIC TRICK

I like the bridge IN the bridge-effect
    Chantal recently posted..‘Morning shots’ 5

14. Great image Jimi, I love the 3rd bridge just creeping out from the fog, class
    Chris Maskell recently posted..Perspective

15. The gulls on the posts are great!!
    denise ippolito recently posted..Branch Brook Park

Beautiful Jimi! Love how each bridge dissapears more and more in to the fog. Lovely.
    Adam Allegro recently posted..A Po Sunset