As photographers we are always looking to expand upon our skills and present a variety of post processing styles. Besides the fact that we don’t want to be one-trick-ponies, it always nice to change things up a little for the sake of interest. Most will not stray too far from their best techniques but who knows what one can do if one never tries.

Today we change things up just a bit with a painterly look. Below is an image taken at the B & O Railroad Museum. It’s one of a collection of abstracts I’ve collected with the intention of creating a little fine art for the gallery.

Extra Large View

Thanks so much for visiting. Wishing you a great day!

26 Responses to Railcar Abstract

1. Wayne Frost says:

I’m really digging your post processing on this one, Jimi. Very nice work of art.
    Wayne Frost recently posted..Transit Walkway

good up close look
    Chantal recently posted..Coffee here

An experiment that really works Jimi. Love the way it turns out.
    Len Saltiel recently posted..Autumn Mirror

4. Jim Denham says:

I don’t say this much, but I think the painterly effect works well here Jimi! Great colors and entangled shapes! good stuff!
    Jim Denham recently posted..Tower Reflection

Now this is what ‘painterly’ is supposed to look like! Very well applied Jimi, the image actually has the feel of a painting.
    Curt Fleenor recently posted..In The Spotlight

You have ROCKED this shot Jimi! Pure art!
    Dave DiCello recently posted..Widely seen

7. Adam Olson says:

Sweet abstract Jimi! I really like the painted effect. Well done!
    Adam Olson recently posted..Docks Edge

8. Very cool shot Jimi. It’s a perfect composition to apply the painterly effect, and you’ve done it so well.
    Steven Perlmutter recently posted..Which Came First

Really like the processing for the “painterly” look here Jimi! Great job!
    Rich McPeek recently posted..Sunday Drive

awesome Jimi, love the painterly effect here!!
    Jim Nix recently posted..The Temple Bar, Dublin

Very cool! Looks like an oil painting!
    Rick Louie recently posted..Inara

12. Love this one Jimi. Worthy of hanging on a wall.
    Chris Frailey recently posted..Meet Michelle

13. Captain Kimo says:

Now that is pretty cool. Had to see it large but the extra processing there was perfect.
    Captain Kimo recently posted..Sunset Panorama from Lake Worth Lagoon at Munyon Island

I really, really like this Jimi. I think the painterly look and the strong colors are fantastic. Love it.
    Edith Levy recently posted..I Geese It’s Winter…

15. Eden says:

Nice work Jimi. The processing really suits this :)

Very nice technique, Jimi. Well suited to the subject.
    Ken Bello recently posted..ARCHITECTURE pt 1

I like that you did not focus on the whole train for this kinda work. I think it helped the processing out a ton doing this. Nice stuff.

18. Great job Jimi! I really like the painterly effect.

Love it Jimi! I have not dabbled in the abstract like this before but I think you just inspired me to start! Well done buddy.
    Adam Allegro recently posted..Awaking in a Snow Covered Dream

20. Like most of the comments above, I’m not a fan of overdone effects, mainly because they are not done with real intent or skill and do not suit the subject.
    This suits the subject and is masterly, Love it Jimi
    Chris Maskell recently posted..Ready to Depart

• Jimi Jones says:

Thanks, Chris.
      I’m with you, effects are really nice when they enhance an image. Everyone has their own particular preferences, as well they should, but too often effects are allowed to overpower the initial image itself, in my opinion. But as I’ve stated many times, there is no right or wrong, only what the creator of the image likes.
      Jimi Jones recently posted..White Gazebo

21. Perfect treatment for this one Jimi, well done man!
    Mike Criswell recently posted..Hanging with the Beechcraft

22. I’ve never managed to have any success with this sort of effect. This has turned out so well, I am now convinced I should give this look another go. I agree with the earlier comments that selecting just a detailed part of the wagon has worked a whole lot better than if you had tried this effect on the whole thing {maybe that’s my problem :-)}
    Mark Summerfield recently posted..Betty’s Hope