Welcome back!

****************** UPDATE ********************

Apparently this bi-plane was misidentified during my visit to the museum. A sign next to the plane indicated it was a de Havilland DH 82. Since the plane was parked on the edge of an isle and since I am not an aviator, I had no reason think otherwise. One of my visitors (SB Chatterjee) pointed out that the plane was perhaps a  Nieuport from WWI but not a Tiger Moth. So, at this point the only thing I am positive about is that it is a bi-plane. :-) If you can positively identify this aircraft, I’d be most appreciative.

************* Original post below***************

In today’s short post we have a look at a bi-plane that was primarily used as a trainer, the de Havilland DH 82. This model took to the air in 1931 and honed the skills of many WWII pilots. Equipped with a 120 HP engine that would push this lightly constructed aircraft to speeds of 110 MPH, it required nerves of steel to fly one of these.

The bi-plane shown below is likely a replica. I was unable to find out for sure when this photo was taken nearly a year ago, but there was nothing I could see that hinted at this having been restored. Nonetheless, it’s a very impressive looking aircraft. The cockpit has modern-day instrumentation (analog gauges)  which was quite nice looking.

Click image to view larger or purchase.

Thanks so much for clicking by. We’ll catch you a little later!

18 Responses to Tiger Moth – de Havilland DH 82

a lot of history in this plane
    Chantal recently posted..Bonaire 26

2. I don’t think it’s a Tiger Moth perhaps a WW1 Nieuport but not a TM. (I got to fly a TM a few years ago).

• Jimi Jones says:

There was a sign on a stand just to the right of this identifying it as a TM. I’ll have to look into this, hate to have misidentified it. I’ve never flown anything,perhaps you’re correct. Thanks for the feedback, I’ll be posting an update once this is settled.
      Jimi Jones recently posted..USCGC Taney

VEry nice. I love the warmth you’ve brought out in this image Jimi.
    Edith Levy recently posted..A Splash of Red

Your shots are always so crisp Jimi! This is excellent!
    Dave DiCello recently posted..Manhattan Round Up

Terrific shot Jimi! Love the warm colors in this! Great work!
    Rich McPeek recently posted..HYP Club

Beautiful shot, Jimi. The color is fantastic.
    Mark Neal recently posted..HDR – The Capital Transit Snow Sweeper – Monochrome HTDS

Freaking awesome man. Other day we had some old bomber looking plane fly over our house that looked like it was out of a WW1 museum. You would have loved it. Sadly I didn’t have my camera on me at the time :(
    A.Barlow recently posted..Dandelion

8. What a truly stunning image here, Jimi! Love it, my friend! Planes make for great subjects, and I really enjoyed your composition on this one!
    Toad Hollow Photography recently posted..A New Beginning

9. ken bello says:

Original or restored, it’s still a beautiful aircraft.
    ken bello recently posted..AROUND ROCHESTER – The Strong

10. I just love these old airplanes. Nice job Jimi.
    Steven Perlmutter recently posted..Spring at the Iron Works

11. Great image Jimi. You did better that I could have. I would have called it a plane.LOL

12. Dale Mason says:

Sopwith Pup??

13. Laura says:

Its a perfect shot of the plane I really like it..
    Laura recently posted..Interessantes Radfahren

This image exudes warmth in those colours. I guess the composition was tricky in a fairly confined space but this POV has worked out fine. Great processing as always
    LensScaper recently posted..Fields of Gold

Beautiful work Jimi. Whatever you choose to call it, its a fantastic peiece of machinery. Well captured buddy.
    Adam Allegro recently posted..Vatican Museum Spiral